Friday, October 1, 2010

Whizzed out on the plane.

On a sunday afternoon, when I could be out enjoying the blessings of life, I often find myself sitting at my desk, filing through my friends on facebook to see where they are in life right now.

God damn you, social network.

As I randomly browse through my friends, I have friends who make me feel like shit, people who make me feel normal, and people who make me feel successful. 

I then think to myself, what makes one successful? What criteria are we basing this off of? The social norm? From what the media portrays and claims to be successful? Have we forgotten that we are all different individuals and we are not all the same?

I loathe talking to my parents about college. They rush me to graduate. They compare me with my high school classmates, "Rika, so and so already graduated college. She's back home looking for a job. Why is it taking you forever?" 

My parents never pushed me to do anything. They always gave me the freedom to choose what I wanted to do. I remember when they allowed me to quit Japanese School so I could pursue my tennis career, they were supportive with my idea. Some parents would bitch slap their kid if they asked to be dropped out of school. But at the same time, I believe that they have given me so much freedom and free space to do whatever my heart desires, that instead of staying on a straight line, I have branched out many times to see what else the world has to offer.

The night before I flew to Japan to start my college life, my dad took me out to dinner. He gave me a little pep talk. "Rika, I'm not telling you to be a doctor, a lawyer, an entrepreneur. Be what you want to be. Hell, you can be a dump truck driver for all I care. But whatever you choose to become, be the best at it. Be number one. Give it your all, your fullest."

I live by those words.

But of course, I was pushed into an international business school in Japan. (my parents are both hardcore business people). I was then given the freedom to fly out to the States and pursue what I want too. I guess they wanted to make sure that I at least had the chance to try "business" since apparently, it runs in our family. 

For I have decided to chase my dream, college was a redo. Putting me behind two years. Whatever. Sure my friends are graduating college right now and writing resumes after resumes while I sit at home and read a book about "American Heroes" to fulfill my general education requirement. But, if I was asked if I'm happy, if I was to die today - I would have no regrets. Absolutely no regrets. 

It is portrayed that we are to graduate in four years and land a job after you graduate. Whoever believes in that is clearly stupid, and they live inside a closed box. 

Im not saying that there is anything wrong with the people who graduated in four years. But when it comes down to judging people, I can't say that i'm on your team.

Have we forgotten that we are all individuals? Unique? Different from one another? Who am I to preach, but i believe that we all have a time, place, and purpose in life. We have different callings, different duties to do in our life, that the four year social norm doesn't quite fit in our schedule. Is it not the journey that defines who we are and makes us stronger? 

Now, if you graduate college in five years, due to excessive partying, then I'd stamp "FAIL" on your forehead. All the raunchy college comedies portray the fact that college students are party animals and that's all you are to do. Academics should be at the bottom of your priority list. No. But am I saying partying is wrong? No as well. As long as you have your priorities straight, you do what you are supposed to do, then hell- celebrate! Does it not feel amazing to celebrate with a reason than to party just to party? If college = party, then thats one hell of an expensive party. 

But let's say, you partied too much, and wasted your four years of college. You could also be a sophomore, junior or senior in college! You want to get back in the light. It's never too late. You suddenly found a passion to be better, to be studious, wanting to be successful. It's never too late! 

Does not a journey of a thousand mile begin with a single step?

No comments:

Post a Comment