Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Ranting.

I'm just ranting.

My brain needs a break from fanatically reading about Pocahontas. Which, I didn't know that she died at the age of 22. That's pretty impressive- to be studied as one of the topics on "American Heroes" and have Disney create a movie about you, when she only lived for 22 years.

Anyways, besides that.

I just had a lady come up to me, who's a regular at Starbucks, ask me how I have an iPad and all these cool tech devices when "I only work here". It's funny how people only see one side of things.

Stereotypes. First Impressions. Comparisons and Rivalries.

She doesn't need to know how much shit I had to go through just to be where I'm at right now. When I moved out here by myself, with nothing but two suit cases my mom got me for Christmas, I left everything I had behind just to start a new life on my own. I left my family and friends. I left about 80% of my belonging. I literally had nothing but a bare minimum of clothing I could carry alone and a tennis racket.

Back home, I was the girl who had everything. My first car was a Mercedes Benz. My dad bought me my own car even though we had a selection to choose from in our back yard. My parents own a company, and whenever I'm too lazy to walk my dogs, I would ask one of their employees to do it for me - and they would. I never had to do house chores because I always had a maid. I always had the newest phone and brand labeled accessories, purses and laptops. I was class president, team captain of the volleyball team, nationals team for tennis and volleyball, was in the basketball and volleyball team as first string, and also represented my school at the legislature as a youth congress senator, the last two years of my highschool to help improve our society. I was voted to speak for our class at my graduation and graduated with honors with a 3.95.

I left all of that behind.

I decided to restart my college career. Because it was such a haste decision, and being a Japanese citizen working against me, I decided to start my college career at Bellevue College to earn my AA to transfer to Univeristy of Washington.

"Oh...you go to Bellevue College?"

That's where the whole shit pit started.

Community college. Not so goot of a reputation. Immediately classified as a dumbass. Highschool kids who did not make it into the college they applied for or elderly people who are renewing their credits usually go there. More so, the outcast of the society attend community colleges.

I really don't care about the fact that I go there, because it works great with my schedule and it's a friendly price for my wallet. Not only that, but I have met some of the greatest professors. For someone who works as much as me - it would be quite a challenge to go to a University. If I went straight to a four year school, I probably would have been involved with a lot of late night partying. Also, depending on the college (like the one I went to in Japan), the class capacity is way too large for the professors to know you individually- which then would be hard to get them to write a letter of recommendation for you.

I also believe that we all have different personalities and different ways of learning. Maybe for some students, four year colleges do work for the better, but for others, who are less fortunate and have to battle between work and school, an in-and-out college is a better option.

I forgot to mention though, Bellevue used to be a community college but is now an acclaimed 4 year college (supposedly).

Besides fighting the battle of social status, I had no home. When I first moved out here, I was stuck in this house with a family I have never met in my life. However, they were going through a divorce, knives being thrown across the kitchen table during dinner - I had to move out. Not having any close friends or relatives to take me in, I had to make my own network and group of friends who was willing to take me in for a little while until I found a place of my own.

A girl I met through tennis took me in. I lived in her living room, on her couch, for a year. It was quite an experience. It made me realize how blessed I was back home. How fortunate I have been. How I took my big bed and nice room forgranted.

On top of that, I had no car. Rain or shine, scolding hot or blistering cold, I had to walk 20 minutes to the bus stop to catch the bus. I was on the bus by 6:30am every morning just to go to my 7:30am class. If I had a car, it would have only taken me 5 minutes to get to school, but because of the damn bus route, it took 45 minutes.

No room, a couch as a bed, no car, no friends or families to rely on, and fighting against the "community college" reputation, non stop FOB asian jokes - life was shit.

I hit rock bottom. Turmoil.

That's when I started to realize a lot of stuff.

"Oh my, I was a spoiled bitch!"

Everything I had in life, I took for granted. Without my "items" or materials, I was nothing. I forgot how hard you had to work to have food on your table. I started to understand the value of a penny.

I started to build a great strong network out here. I ran around town to build a little empire of mine. I applied for a job at the City of Bellevue. I took over the summer tennis camp over at Robinswood. I applied for a job at Starbucks. I applied to volunteer at UW Medical Center over at the Surgery Center Pavillion. I was constantly looking for ways to become a step closer of becoming succesful. Every job I applied for- I gave my 110% effort, constantly being promoted for higher pay and a higher job status.

Slowly but surely, my life was more advantageous.

Life is only as good as you make it. It's up to you, whether or not you want to enjoy it or live through it as a pessimist.

No comments:

Post a Comment